NeuroStar® TMS Therapy Treatment – Treatment for Depression Now Available In Littleton, Colorado.
TMS Solutions Treatment Centers & Foothills Psychiatry in Littleton, Colorado.
Foothills Psychiatry in Littleton, Colorado is pleased to announce they are now treating patients utilizing NeuroStar's revolutionary TMS Therapy®, in partnership with TMS Solutions Treatment Centers. TMS Solutions Business Development Partner, Christopher Blackburn was excited to make the announcement, and along with Dr. James Mauldin, have begun treating patients for their depression. Blackburn noted that the NeuroStar TMS Therapy System is FDA approved and “indicated for the treatment of Major Depressive Disorder (MDD) in adult patients who have failed to receive satisfactory improvement from prior antidepressant medication in the current episode.” Blackburn added that in their TMS Solutions Treatment Centers they are seeing:
- Greater than 1 of 2 patients receive partial remission from depression with a decrease of 60% or greater of their symptoms.
- 1 of 3 gain full remission from their disease. "This is a game changer", Blackburn added, noting TMS also shows promise in dealing with PTSD, Tinnitus, and Postpartum Depression—although insurance is currently covering only depression treatments.
Doctor Mauldin of Foothills Psychiatry expressed his excitement over the partnership with TMS Solutions. Husband and wife, Drs. James Mauldin and Cathy Collins, founded Foothills Psychiatric, LLC in 2009. Collins is the senior partner and specializes in Adult Psychiatry, Child Psychiatry, as well as Adolescent Psychiatry. Dr. Mauldin is board certified in General Adult Psychiatry and sees patients with mood, thought, and substance use disorders. Foothills offers extended medication management encounters with brief, problem-focused, and family psychotherapy included in most sessions. Beginning in August 2015, Dr. Mauldin began overseeing delivery of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS), a noninvasive, office based procedure approved by the FDA for the treatment of treatment-resistant depression.
TMS Therapy is a promising tool for treating depression, and is outside of the normal pharmacological/medicinal box in which doctors have been treating this illness. This is great news for patients suffering from depression, and for doctors to have another tool in their arsenal for treating the disease that affects upwards of 16 million Americans.
- TMS Therapy is covered by several insurance carriers and Medicare.
- TMS Therapy is a non-systemic treatment, meaning it does not circulate in the bloodstream.
- It is also non-invasive, in that it does not involve surgery. It is also drug free.
- The process uses a highly-focused MRI-strength magnetic field pulse to a specific part of the brain, which leads to activation of cortical and deep brain structures known to be involved in mood regulation.
- The treatment is available only by prescription and administered daily for 6 weeks.
Blackburn, in addition to his business development duties, is also a patient advocate, working with patients and their insurers. Patients considering TMS treatment can go to www.tmssolutions.com for more information, or talk with their doctor or Mr. Blackburn to see if they are candidates for this treatment.